Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Happy Haunting Shirt Tutorial

Yes, you read the title correctly, it says tutorial. HOLY MOLY!! I saw this super adorable Christmas Tree Ribbon shirt on Pinterest from a cute little etsy shop, Lilybloom.
And I thought, hmmmm...could I make a pumpkin? And I quickly learned that no, with this technique I couldn't make a pumpkin, but I could make a candy corn! So this brings us to my first actual tutorial of something I kind of came up with on my own! And the pics aren't fabulous because they are taken on my phone. My camera was up stairs and I was too excited to go get it. Honestly, that is the truth! Pitiful, I know.

First decide how big you want your loops to be and start cutting strips of ribbon. I used two different types of orange ribbon, one pattern and one plain. The yellow I used a grosgrain ribbon looped inside a sheer ribbon and for the white, I just used shear.
After you have your strips cut, sew them into little loops and then burn the ends to seal the ribbon. But keep in mind that thread actually catches on fire and will make a big flame and black marks on your ribbon so cut any excess thread before burning. Not that I learned that from experience or anything!

Then line up your ribbon loops and sew them onto a piece of ribbon that is the same color as your shirt so it will blend in. I started at the bottom so I could figure out how many loops I would need across.
Then sew your ribbon "lines" onto the shirt and cut the excess off of the sides.
Since I couldn't round the top, I opted for a big white bow and found this cute little candy corn button at Joann's to hide the middle. I think it turned out pretty cute and Olive LOVES it! She calls it her acorn shirt! :)
I also made a ghost using the same technique! I think it is pretty cute too! The shirt is wrinkly, but the ghost is cute. Happy Haunting!

1 comment:

  1. I am working on a christmas tree shirt and couldn't figure out how in the world i was going to get the layers straight! Thanks for showing that you put the loops on ribbon strips! this helps alot!

    ReplyDelete